Thursday, March 3, 2011

Helping the Needy

Matthew 6:2-4

“Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.



Exodus 22:25
25 “If you lend money to one of my people among you who is needy, do not treat it like a business deal; charge no interest.

Job 31:16-23
“If I have denied the desires of the poor 
    or let the eyes of the widow grow weary, 
17 if I have kept my bread to myself,
    not sharing it with the fatherless 
18 but from my youth I reared them as a father would,
    and from my birth I guided the widow 
19 if I have seen anyone perishing for lack of clothing, 
    or the needy without garments,
20 and their hearts did not bless me 
    for warming them with the fleece from my sheep,
21 if I have raised my hand against the fatherless, 
    knowing that I had influence in court, 
22 then let my arm fall from the shoulder,
    let it be broken off at the joint. 
23 For I dreaded destruction from God, 
    and for fear of his splendor I could not do such things.

Psalm 9:18
But God will never forget the needy; the hope of the afflicted will never perish.


James 1:27 New International Version (NIV)
27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.


Acts 9:36
  In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (in Greek her name is Dorcas); she was always doing good and helping the poor.


Matthew 9:35-40

 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me,I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’











No comments:

Post a Comment